In een handboek van The United States Air Force vonden Rudy Kor, Gert Wijnen en Mathieu Weggeman onderstaande "Followers guidelines to strenghten the supervisor-follower relation':
- Help the supervisor to be succesful: it doesn't mean to play politics. It means remembering that you are on the same team. If the team succeeds everyone benefits; if the team fails, then the blame should fall on both the supervisor and the teammembers.
- Understand the supervisor's world: By knowing the supervisor's person personal and organisational objectives the effective follower can share that vision.
- Supervisors don't have all the answers: Recognize and complement a supervisor's weakness and understand his/her constraints and limitations.
- Keep your supervisor informed: Few people like surprises. Never put your supervisor in an embarrassing situation of having someone else know more about his/her terrain than he/she does.
- Adapt the supervisors style: Followers need to be flexible in adapting to his/her supervisor's decision-making-style, problem-solving strategies, modes of communication, styles of interaction and so on.
Be honest and dependable: A lack of integrity is an absolutely fatal flaw. No one – supervisor, peer or subordinate – wants to work with someone he/she cannot trust. After integrity, supervisors value dependability.
Bron: Meesterlijk organiseren: handreikingen voor ondernemende managers. Auteurs: Kor, R. Wijnen, G. Weggeman, M. Uitgeverij Kluwer, Deventer, 2007.